Monday, January 9, 2012

DIY Stir Plate ver 2.0

This is an update to my first DIY stir plate for a yeast starter. This version seems to work more reliably, and it stirs a greater volume of fluid. The fan I chose has more torque, the magnets more power and the potentiometer more resolution (25 ohm verses 75K ohm in the last one). I still think I can do better. I'm going to try an even stronger magnet and a potentiometer with more resolution (50 ohm).

My goal is to be able to stir a 6 gallon carboy. This will allow me to degas wine during secondary fermentation and to oxygenate a freshly pitched beer...and it's just cool to be able to do it.

The magnets in this version have an 8 lb pull. I'm stepping up to 50 lb pull in ver 3.0.

My electrical engineer friend tells me that my 25 ohm potentiometer will supply a 7.2V to 12V range resolution. With the 50 ohms potentiometer, it will increase to 5.18V to 12V.




No comments:

Post a Comment